[csw-maintainers] GAR: DISTFILES documentation (continued)

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 1 10:44:32 CEST 2012

2012/6/1 <pfelecan at opencsw.org>
> I discovered (by reading the source Luke) that adding a file of the form
> CSWfoo.postinstall to DISTFILES uses it as a postinstall script for the
> foo package.

Yes, I find it a bit silly. I understand that there needs to be a way
to declare that there's a postinstall script, but the current way is
strange.

By the way, this is an excellent example of why people who already use
GAR are next to useless at documenting. When I asked myself “what's
there to be told about DISTFILES”, I only thought “it's just the file
you want to unpack”, and I forgot about the postinstall thing
altogether. If I asked myself “how do I create a postinstall script?”,
I would immediately say: “You put it in files/ and you add it to
DISTFILES”. But if you ask from the DISTFILES direction, the
postinstall issue doesn't come up. This is how indexing works in the
brain, I guess.

> This feature is not documented... Are there some other magic related to
> DISTFILES? In the affirmative, it should be documented by the
> knowledgeable persons (among which I'm not).

I just added the information about CSWfoo.postinstall. If there's more
magic, I'm not sure, I can't think of anything right now.