[csw-maintainers] GAR: adding /opt/csw/gnu to PATH and gettext issues

pfelecan at opencsw.org pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Jun 12 13:20:05 CEST 2012

When configuring a project which uses gettext I have the following:

	checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
	checking for msgmerge... no
	checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
	checking for gmsgfmt... /opt/csw/bin/gmsgfmt

which raises the following issues:

	1. some utilities are taken from the base Solaris supply
	2. other utilities are taken from Open CSW supply
	3. and some utilities are not found...

quite a mess; it is very probable that the gettext package has some
incoherent transforms of the binaries names, some with the 'g' prefix,
some without.

All these issues are solved by adding the /opt/csw/gnu path to the
PATH environment variable:

	checking for xgettext... /opt/csw/gnu/xgettext
	checking for msgmerge... /opt/csw/gnu/msgmerge
	checking for msgfmt... /opt/csw/gnu/msgfmt
	checking for gmsgfmt... /opt/csw/bin/gmsgfmt

This is not the first time that I encounter issues that are solved by
this addition. Moreover, I think that in many cases, such as the one
described above, we have a higher coherency.

Unfortunately, in the configure step of mGAR it is not clear how can
we enrich the PATH. The only way to do it, from my point of view, is
to modify its definition in gar.conf.mk

I remember that there was such a suggestion in the near past but with
no consequence.

What do you think?