[csw-maintainers] Include additional files in package from source download

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 14 11:14:27 CEST 2012

Hi Dago,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Romeo,
>
> Am 14.06.2012 um 06:03 schrieb Romeo Theriault:
> Is this possible without resorting to custom INSTALL_SCRIPTS?
>
> Not yet :-) I just talked with Peter about this:
>  http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2012-June/016738.html

Ahhh, yeah, I remember reading that. :) It was too early in my GAR
understanding to know what was really being said though. I do like
what you were suggesting though:

>   EXTRA_DOCS_CSWmypkg += README.CSW
>   EXTRA_DOCS_CSWmypkg += morestuff.txt
>   EXTRA_DOCS += this-goes-to-all-pkgs.txt

This seems very useful. If this would allow one to pull files from the
source distribution that would perfectly fit what I'm trying to
accomplish.

Assuming I need to create custom INSTALL_SCRIPT target to get the
files I want in the pkg I have a few questions.

* Does INSTALL_SCRIPT accept the '+=' assignment? In other words can I
have the Makefile use it's default target but also use this new custom
target? (I may not be using the correct terminology.) What I'm trying
to determine is if I need to now completely manage which files go in
which package or if I can keep the current defaults and just add the
few extra files I want.

* Does the INSTALL_SCRIPT variable allow me to do
'INSTALL_SCRIPT_CSWlibzmq' so the custom install scripts only get
executed for the 'libzmq' package and not the 'libzmq-dev' package?

>> NAME = zeromq
>> VERSION = 2.2.0
>> GARTYPE = v2
>> CATEGORIES = lib
>>
>> DESCRIPTION = Software library for fast, message-based applications
>> define BLURB
>>        The 0MQ lightweight messaging kernel is a library which extends the
>>        standard socket interfaces with features traditionally provided by
>>        specialized messaging middle-ware products. 0MQ sockets provide an
>>        abstraction of asynchronous message queues, multiple messaging
>>        patterns, message filtering (subscriptions), seamless access to
>>        multiple transport protocols and more.
>>
>>        This package contains the ZeroMQ shared library.
>> endef
>>
>> MASTER_SITES = http://download.zeromq.org/
>> DISTFILES  = $(DISTNAME).tar.gz
>>
>> PACKAGES += CSWlibzmq
>> SPKG_DESC_CSWlibzmq = Software library for fast, message-based applications
>>
>> PACKAGES += CSWlibzmq-dev
>> CATALOGNAME_CSWlibzmq-dev = libzmq_dev
>
> I would recommend only setting CATALOGNAME when it differs from the canonical
> one derived from the package name (which is stripping of CSW prefix and replacing
> - by _).

Ok, that makes sense; I'll remove that line.

>> SPKG_DESC_CSWlibzmq-dev += ZeroMQ development files
>> RUNTIME_DEP_PKGS_CSWlibzmq-dev += CSWlibzmq
>>
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS = $(DIRPATHS)
>>
>> PKGFILES_CSWlibzmq-dev = $(PKGFILES_DEVEL)
>
> It is usually a good idea to always use += as this allows reordering of lines
> without, umh, "forgetting" to add/remove the "+" :-)

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll add the '+'.

>> PKGFILES_CSWlibzmq-dev += .*\.7
>
> I suggest grouping PKGFILES with the respective package after SPKG_DESC.

Will do.

> Additionally, I would assume that CSWlibzmq contains a shared library with a specific soname.
> If this is the case there is a rule to name the package by the soname, like e.g.
>  CSWlibzmq1-3
> for libzmq-1.so.3
> For this you would use
>  PKGFILES_CSWlibzmq1-3 += $(call pkgfiles_lib,libzmq-1.so.3)

Ok, I'll rename the package and give it a try. Thanks for pointing these out.

Thank you very much for the help,
Romeo