[csw-maintainers] OpenSSL project task order

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Wed Jun 20 11:43:07 CEST 2012

Hi Dago,

2012/6/20 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>

> Hi Yann,
>
> you carefully splitted the tasks into different groups in
>  http://wiki.opencsw.org/project-openssl
>
> Which order would you recommend?

There are no order to follow between groups, they are independant.
There are no order inside groups, they just must be released together
(except if one program refuse to compile because one of its dependancy is
still linked with openssl 0.9.8, I am not aware if that can happens).

For exemple, you can't release gnomesysmon and courier_imap separately,
because gnomesysmon is linked several times with openssl at runtime:
directly and indirectly by the way of a dependancy on libldap2_4_2.

So you need to recompile both gnomesysmon and libldap2_4_2 at the same time
to avoid a runtime linking with both version.

But as courier_imap is also directly linked with openssl and indirectly
linked through libldap2_4_2, you also need to recompile courier_imap at the
same time to avoid to create a new dual runtime linking situation with
courier_imap.

As said before, it would be helpful to know when the dual runtime linking
is really a problem, this would maybe help to significantly simplify the
coordination work.

Does someone know what happens exactly when a program is linked with two
different libraries at runtime by the way of one of its dependancy ?

> Can I talk you into taking the stab at project
> lead and ask people to do specific things?

Yes, I intented to do it but I will not be able to do it until next week.

The fact that some maintainers are retired will make things complicated.
I've some seen mails about stopping to support desktop apps. Is there some
consensus about this ? That would remove a lot of unmaintained packages
from group 1.

Some of these packages may even not lack a GAR recipe, don't they ?

(BTW, I am not sure we should even keep packages that are not maintained
anymore. At best, it may be a good idea to move them to a separate catalog)

> What should I do first from that list?

I would recommend to first work on group 1 because this is the biggest
group and one missing updated package prevents all the other to be updated.

Yann