[csw-maintainers] zeromq build failing on i386: Too many open files (signaler.cpp:300)

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 21 01:41:39 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Romeo Theriault
<romeotheriault at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> To go back to your initial problem: Does the increased filehandles make it to the process?
>
> Bingo, it seems not! When I run the test manually (after up'ing the
> filehandles) it returns without error, doesn't core and a returns a
> return code of 0. Then when I bring the filehandles back down to 256
> and run the test again it cores and errors out as it does during the
> build run tests. Now to figure out why the ulimit settings in my
> .bash_profile don't affect it when going through the build process.
> Does the build process use 'sh' I wonder...
>
> Will report back when I've found the culprit. Thanks for the very useful info.

Got it. It seems the build runs as a non-interactive shell, thus the
~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile were not getting sourced. I added the
following to the Makefile to get the ~/.bash_profile sourced.

EXTRA_TEST_ENV += BASH_ENV=~/.bash_profile

Rebuilt and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the help folks,
Romeo