[csw-maintainers] MySQL built with GCC → mysql config vs bindings

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 24 16:23:16 CEST 2012

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Fri Jun 22 19:45:35 -0400 2012:

> I wouldn't like this to go unanswered. In my opinion, this is a
> reasonable target state. I don't mean that there should be only one

Agreed.  I kept this thread in my inbox as I did intend to reply.
It's definitely an important topic and we've discussed it somewhat in
the past.

I'm basically in the pragmatic camp here.  With limited time and
resources, we should spend less time fighting the compilers and more
time improving packages and tools.  If fixes for making things build
with studio are easy, that's great.  Patches should be submitted
upstream to keep the project honest.  In cases where fixes are
non-trivial the question of whether fixing it is time well spent
should be asked...in my own case, this answer is most often no.  I'm
delivering less benefit to the project when I spend time porting to
studio.  (I agree that it is interesting and enjoyable work, but it's
a side benefit to the project and not the core goal.)

For the purposes of our project, having disjointed c++ libraries is
something that can cause us serious pain.  To avoid this,
standardizing on one compiler is definitely a good choice.  It would
let us avoid the /opt/csw/gxx split.  If we do standardize this way
though, we would likely want to rebuild anything that is c++ and
provides a library and then all of the dependant packages.  I haven't
looked at how large a set of packages this is (it may not be too bad),
but it would be a lot of work too.

Thanks