[csw-maintainers] Solaris 9 and amd64

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jun 25 23:14:57 CEST 2012

Maciej (Matchek) Blizi??ski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> 2012/6/25 Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>:
> >> I think we should both drop Solaris 9 and make gcc the default compiler.
> >
> > Making gcc the default may be in conflict with trying to use OpenCSW as a
> > replacement for Sun's SFW consolidation om OpenSolaris.
>
> Could you expand on that? By using OpenCSW, do you mean using the
> build recipes (with potentially altered $(BUILD_PREFIX)) or using the
> binary packages? I could imagine source-level cooperation, where two
> branches would be similar, with the only difference would be the
> compiler setting and required patches.

SchilliX would need separate and slightly different packages but they could be
compiled from the same set of sources.

The packages should be as compatible as possible to the previous Sun packages.

This means that we need to install the binaries relatively to / /usr or /usr/sfw
and that there is a need to have ELF version information in libraries that are
compatiblle to the Sun version data.

The related information can be either obtained from the mapfiles from the sfw
source consolidation or from readin the libraries itself.

Jörg