[csw-maintainers] Solaris 9 and amd64

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Jun 26 11:09:54 CEST 2012

2012/6/25 Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>:
> Maciej (Matchek) Blizi??ski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> > Making gcc the default may be in conflict with trying to use OpenCSW as a
>> > replacement for Sun's SFW consolidation om OpenSolaris.
>>
>> Could you expand on that? By using OpenCSW, do you mean using the
>> build recipes (with potentially altered $(BUILD_PREFIX)) or using the
>> binary packages? I could imagine source-level cooperation, where two
>> branches would be similar, with the only difference would be the
>> compiler setting and required patches.
>
> SchilliX would need separate and slightly different packages but they could be
> compiled from the same set of sources.

Sounds good.

> The packages should be as compatible as possible to the previous Sun packages.
>
> This means that we need to install the binaries relatively to / /usr or /usr/sfw
> and that there is a need to have ELF version information in libraries that are
> compatiblle to the Sun version data.
>
> The related information can be either obtained from the mapfiles from the sfw
> source consolidation or from readin the libraries itself.

Although generally the BUILD_PREFIX can be set to something else,
there are many places where the "/opt/csw" prefix is hardcoded: for
example in patches, and in shipped example config files. I think that
if you plan to adapt the sources to make the libraries backward
compatible with the SFW packages, changing the compiler is probably
the least of your worries.

It would be cool if there was source-level collaboration. Making the
same sources build in two flavors would be a challenge, a very
interesting one.