[csw-maintainers] Openssl 1.0 migration and desktop packages removal

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Jun 27 20:50:35 CEST 2012

2012/6/27 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> It seems there is a consensus about our focus on server softwares:
>> http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2012-June/016845.html
>
> The above citation doesn't show consensus; maybe the thread?

I would like to clarify two things - I don't know if you can show one
specific thread that is a proof of the consensus. I think that there's
consensus based on all the conversations here on the mailing list and
on IRC.

The second thing is what's the consensus about. If I understand
correctly, focusing on server software means that we as a group or as
the OpenCSW project will not be going out of our way to build desktop
software. We will do it for things like GCC and OpenSSL, but not for
Gnome. And if something stands in the way of rebuilding the server
software, we'll do what's necessary to take it out of the way.

When individual maintainers wish to build desktop software, great! By
all means, go ahead. The problem here seems to be that the old gnome
libraries are blocking progress. If the libraries are to be
maintained, someone has to step up and take them on.