[csw-maintainers] Problem with GIT repository cloning at github

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 2 22:08:31 CET 2012

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Fri Mar 02 16:04:41 -0500 2012:

Hi Dago,

> I wanted to update a package which pulls a treeish directly from
> github and it doesn't seem to work any more. The mechanism in GAR is
> based on "git archive" something like git archive
> --remote=git://github.com/blair/orca.git The answer from the
> upstream repo is fatal: git archive: protocol error and when I truss
> the git command the upstream server communication looks like this:

I had talked with Sebastian about removing this but it didn't get
yanked out yet.  So if it's not working then either a change in git or
some other error is the cause.

The path should be (pseudo):

git fetch --bare /path/to/local.git
git archive --bare /path/to/local.git --stdout | tar -xvf $(WORKSRC)

or something similar.

I can look at this in the evening.  I assume it's the orca package?

Thanks