[csw-maintainers] Problem with GIT repository cloning at github

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Mar 3 03:01:39 CET 2012

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Fri Mar 02 16:04:41 -0500 2012:

Hi Dago,

> I wanted to update a package which pulls a treeish directly from
> github and it doesn't seem to work any more. The mechanism in GAR is
> based on "git archive" something like git archive
> --remote=git://github.com/blair/orca.git The answer from the

Ok, I cleaned up a bit of the pull code as git now sets up the origin
remote properly in the way we use it.  That leaves the problem that
the extract step still fails.

The VERSION in that recipe is set to a sha1 and GIT_TREEISH is set to
VERSION.  That would work if the sha1 existed but it doesn't.  I'd set
the version to a 'normal' value and then reference a tag in the repo
from GIT_TREEISH (possibly automatically leveraging VERSION still).  I
don't know what that is, but you can see the available tags with:

cd /home/src/orca.git; git --bare tag

It should work once you've updated to a usable treeish.

Now why the old sha1 disappeared, I don't know.  This can only happen
if they removed a published commit (rewrite history; push -f).

Let me know if you hit more problems with this.

Thanks