[csw-maintainers] Solaris Studio vs GCC

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 12 00:21:30 CET 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I understand that performance of the binaries generated by studio used
> to be superior, but I don't know if that's still the case.  Aside from
> this (possible) win for studio, what are some of the other reasons
> we've traditionally preferred it to gcc?

I'd like to switch the _default_ compiler only. :)

Today quite some packages are built with gcc anyway due to being too
hard to build with Studio. If someone feels that Studio will give them
faster binaries they can still use it. I would like to see some actual
numbers though for the sake of the discussion. James Lee used to
provide some back in the day.

/peter