[csw-maintainers] Killing the stable release

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 15 10:43:15 CET 2012

2012/3/15 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>:
> As I outlined during the camp I would favor a solution where pkgutil tries to
> download some kind of message-of-the-day from the catalog and display it.
> We can add such a notice in stable/ while moving all packages to a different
> directory. This gives everybody the chance to relocate without breakage.

I like the message-of-the-day idea, I think it's a good thing to have
anyway. Do you have a concrete idea of how exactly would it work?

In the case of stable, there is not much breakage. Maybe the only
breakage would be when someone has a machine running stable, and they
want to install a new package that they haven't installed before. That
wouldn't work after the rename. They'd have to reconfigure
pkgutil.conf to point at stable-dead, that's all.

What I like about the rename idea is that there is no possible way you
can miss this. Also, it forces people to resubscribe to stable-dead if
they want to continue using it, creating room for the new stable we'll
eventually produce.