[csw-maintainers] Killing the stable release

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 15 11:13:42 CET 2012

Hi,

Am 15.03.2012 um 10:57 schrieb Peter Bonivart:
> 2012/3/15 Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
>> In the case of stable, there is not much breakage. Maybe the only
>> breakage would be when someone has a machine running stable, and they
>> want to install a new package that they haven't installed before. That
>> wouldn't work after the rename. They'd have to reconfigure
>> pkgutil.conf to point at stable-dead, that's all.
>
> Pkgutil will fail without "injury". I see two cases, you have an up to
> date catalog, then the actual file fetching will fail and pkgutil
> aborts. Otherwise, the catalog fetching will fail and pkgutil aborts.
> In both cases no changes are made to your system.

I suggest having three extra file
  00PACKAGENOTFOUND
  00CATALOGNOTFOUND
  00MOTD

If a package could not be found the first is tried to be download and
displayed. If it is not there nothing happens. If a catalog could not
be found the second is displayed. The third is tried and displayed on
every update (-U).

> How about pkg-get? How does that work if download don't work? Is it
> possible that it removes packages first, tries to download new ones,
> fails and you end up without some packages you had? I assume lots of
> users of stable are still on pkg-get.

Hum.