[csw-maintainers] review requested for Emacs GARification

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed May 23 16:45:14 CEST 2012

Hi Peter,

Am 23.05.2012 um 16:06 schrieb Dagobert Michelsen:
> Am 23.05.2012 um 16:04 schrieb pfelecan at opencsw.org:
>> I think that I advanced quite well in my struggle of GARification for
>> Emacs. However, I'm stuck in the post-install modulation... Can a
>> knowledgeable maintainer review the recipe and help me out for this issue
>> and point out the other issues that he encounters.
>>
>> FYI, the significant changes are in
>> http://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gar?view=revision&revision=18093
>
> Sure, I'll have a look.

I collapsed the rules to just use $(FEATURES), apart from that the isa-default
is unfortunately not possible in the make rules, just variable expansions:
  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/18096

Additionally I have some suggestions which would make the Makefile more in line
with the other Makefiles:
- Use multiple additions instead of line continuation, e.g.
    WHAT += arg1
    WHAT += arg2
  instead of
    WHAT = arg1 \
             args2
  This allows for easy adding/deleting/reordering of lines when necessary without
  disturbing other lines.
- The package names in newer recipes tend to separate with "-" like
  CSWemacs-nox instead of CSWemacsnox where additionally the catalog name can be
  directly derived from the package name with CSW stripped and "-" replace by "_".
  This is already the case as you define emacs_nox which explicit definition could
  then be skipped.
- Use either a tabsize of 8 or no tabs at all with the exception of the leading tab
  in rules. The current tabsize is hard to read:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/emacs/trunk/Makefile