[csw-maintainers] review requested for Emacs GARification

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed May 23 19:53:56 CEST 2012

Hi Peter,

Am 23.05.2012 um 19:26 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

>>> Sure, I'll have a look.
>
> Thank you Dagobert for the review.

If you have any issues I'll be happy to do it anytime again :-)

>> I collapsed the rules to just use $(FEATURES), apart from that the isa-default
>> is unfortunately not possible in the make rules, just variable expansions:
>>  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/18096
>
> Alright. For this case it works but there are case where it doesn't work
> this way, e.g. libcurl. Me thinks that documenting and giving a salient
> example in the modulation documentation will be beneficial for everybody.

I think you are talking about
  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/wiki/Modulations

The initial thought was to introduce the "default" syntax only for variables below.
I tried to clarify it further, please take a look if you think it is now clearer.

>> - The package names in newer recipes tend to separate with "-" like
>>  CSWemacs-nox instead of CSWemacsnox where additionally the catalog name can be
>>  directly derived from the package name with CSW stripped and "-" replace by "_".
>>  This is already the case as you define emacs_nox which explicit definition could
>>  then be skipped.
>
> I'll change the CSW names but that means that I must obsolete the old
> packages, isn't it?

Yes. Please see
  https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/wiki/ObsoletingPackages

> Even though the catalog name doesn't change.

This makes it more complicated. You need
  OBSOLETED_BY_CSWemacs-nox = CSWemacsnox
  CATALOGNAME_CSWemacsnox = emacs_nox_stub

I also added this to the above wiki page.

>> - Use either a tabsize of 8 or no tabs at all with the exception of the leading tab
>>  in rules. The current tabsize is hard to read:
>>    http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/emacs/trunk/Makefile
>
> I use real tabs and my editor has tab-stops at 4 characters. I don't
> think that "untabifying" is a good thing in a make file.

I meant more like collapsing the tabs to a single space.

> Thank you again. I hope to finish tomorrow a first packaging for the new
> version of Emacs.

Cool!