[csw-maintainers] T4 crypto support in openssl 1.0

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Thu May 24 09:48:41 CEST 2012

Hi Dago,

You should be able to use the T2/T3 crypto units using the pkcs11 engine.
The pkcs11 is supposed to be less efficient as it requires a switch to
kernel context
(also explained here
https://blogs.oracle.com/DanX/entry/sparc_t4_openssl_engine )

But what is strange is that pkcs11 seems to be always enabled.

Under unstable10s, with SFW openssl, we can see the performance difference:

$ /usr/sfw/bin/openssl speed rsa
Doing 512 bit private rsa's for 10s: 2060 512 bit private RSA's in 9.99s
[...]

$ /usr/sfw/bin/openssl speed -engine pkcs11 rsa
engine "pkcs11" set.
Doing 512 bit private rsa's for 10s: 22976 512 bit private RSA's in 0.91s
[...]

But with CSW openssl, we have a good performance even without enabling
pkcs11 and it seems the library is always loaded:

$ /opt/csw/bin/openssl speed rsa
Doing 512 bit private rsa's for 10s: 22709 512 bit private RSA's in 0.92s
[...]

Yann