[csw-maintainers] The dublin release: remaining tasks

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Tue May 29 15:20:08 CEST 2012

2012/5/29 Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org>

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> > This means apart from other thing, a revert of the php5 push which fixes a
> > CVE.
> >
> > Dagobert will create dublin build machines for fixes like this.
>
> Or could we simply rebuild with new source for dublin, then rebuild
> again with updated deps for unstable?

Yes, that's the plan.

> I guess having target build machines is a safer, less complicated
> solution for the maintainers but there could be lots of machines
> depending on how long we're supposed to support the named releases.
> Have we decided on that? A set time or number of simultaneous named
> releases?

I'm thinking at most 2 supported named relases at any given point in
time. We'll probably also need to make changes to our infrastructure
to make multi-release builds easier.

Another thing is pushing fixes directly to dublin. We currently have
no high-level, csw-upload-pkg mechanism for that. We could modify
csw-upload-pkg for this purpose, but it would need to be done
carefully, to avoid situations like maintainers inadvertently pushing
packages to releases higher than unstable. Currently, you can only
push to unstable that way, it's locked down on the server side, so no
request to push to dublin, made via the REST interace, will work. For
now, we'll use the low-level utility, pkgdb. If we want to support
backport-fixes in a long term, we'll need something better.

Comments, ideas, and prototype code are all very welcome.