[csw-maintainers] how to express dependencies on alternatives?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu May 31 11:25:31 CEST 2012

Maciej (Matchek) Blizi??ski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> > There are packages, such as auctex, depending on the generic Emacs at
> > run-time and/or build time.
> >
> > How can I express such dependencies?
> >
> > Concretely: auctex depends (build and run-time) on emacs (the X11
> > Athena based widget) or emacs_gtk or emacs_nox.
>
> I don't think you can, at all. It's the inherent limitation of SVR4
> package format.

I am not sure whether this is a limitation.

Up to now, I was always able to express my needs with the system.

-	cpp is closed source and thus not available on OpenSolaris.
	There is however SCHILYcpp and SCHILYcppr.
	I also provide an empty SUNWcpp that depends on SCHILYcpp and
	SCHILYcppr and that is installed to give compatibility.

-	If you like to allow different implementations to provide the same
	interface, you need to create different empty wrapper packages

> In such case, one thing to do would be to display a message at the end
> of auctex installation, explaining that either emacs_gtk or emacs_nox
> need to be installed.

This is not supported by pkgadd.....

Jörg