[csw-maintainers] Error installing sendmail

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Thu May 31 13:52:35 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just updated the dublin build hosts and got the following install error for sendmail
> which aborted the whole update process (btw, it is really bad that an update is hard
> stopped under any issue as it can not be continued and leaves a system in a half-baked
> state and I don't know what packages are missing now).

It's an old decision to stop the processing on pkgadd errors due to
more errors will likely follow if one package doesn't install
properly. Also, since most people don't pay attention to the install
process output they would get hard to understand runtime problems
later on.

For almost every bad situation there's an equally bad alternative.
Pick your poison. :)

>> => Installing CSWsendmail-8.14.5,REV=2012.03.11 (300/507) ...
>> Please see /opt/csw/share/doc/sendmail/license for license information.
>> pkgadd: ERROR: unable to create package object </var/opt/csw/spool/clientmqueue>.
>>     pathname does not exist
>>     owner name <smmsp> not found in passwd table(s)
>> ERROR: attribute verification of </var/opt/csw/spool/clientmqueue> failed
>>     owner name <smmsp> not found in passwd table(s)
>> Registering 'sendmail' alternative /opt/csw/bin/mailq.sendmail ...
>> Installing class <cswusergroup> ...
>> Group smmsp already exists
>> User smmsp has been added
>> Updating account 'smmsp' to be no-login (NP)
>>
>> Group mail already exists
>> No user to create

I'll take a look at the package but it seems the prototype modifiers
are run before the usergroup CAS which can be bad. The weird thing in
this case it that you seem to have the necessary users already but
still pkgadd complains. Is there something specific with this host
like sparse zones or similar that could have affected this?

/peter