[csw-maintainers] how to express dependencies on alternatives?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu May 31 15:22:27 CEST 2012

Excerpts from pfelecan's message of Thu May 31 04:25:49 -0400 2012:

> Concretely: auctex depends (build and run-time) on emacs (the X11
> Athena based widget) or emacs_gtk or emacs_nox.

Others have answered with the technicalities and I think they're
on the money.  I'll try to provide a usable workaround...

How about having CSWemacs that is a dummy package that depends only on
your preferred (or your view of the emacs users consensus) on which
version (x11, gtk or nox) people want.

Then, all of the packages delivering the real editor would be uniquely
named with -x11, -gtk and -nox.  The alternatives would be handled
directly within the real packages but things like auctex can still
have a generic dependency.

HTH.

Thanks