[csw-maintainers] The bratislava catalog

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Nov 19 16:21:51 CET 2012

There's an idea to start building the bratislava catalog from scratch.
The idea started at the last camp during the conversation about
cleaning up the existing catalogs. The exact idea is to, as cleanly as
possible, build a catalog which will be following our current
practices: all packages built with GAR, no obsoleted packages,
libraries split out and so forth. Also, to alleviate the issues with
C++ libraries, all C++ software (or even all software) would be built
with GCC. There will be no CSWcommon.

The rationale for a new rebuild that cleaning up the current catalog
is rather hard. It's mainly got to do with existing dependencies,
where e.g. maintained packages depend on unmaintained. It's an
alternative to the idea of tiers. Rebuilding from scratch will not
introduce as much complexity, and will still help us improve the
catalog quality.

http://wiki.opencsw.org/release-bratislava

I made it possible to use csw-upload-pkg to upload to the bratislava
catalog. The catalog is already generated and published on the mirror.
I've made a test release of CSWtree.

My first goal will be to build GCC for bratislava. It has some
dependencies, so I will start working my way up, starting with iconv.

http://www.opencsw.org/qa/packages/gcc4core/

The goal is to have a limited but well maintained set of core
packages, such as Apache, GCC and MySQL. Of course, it will require
building all the dependencies first.

How to build for bratislava? These instructions are valid for
November/December 2012:

- build on the unstable hosts
- make a 'bratislava' branch in subversion, e.g.:
svn cp
https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/tree/{trunk,branches/bratislava}
- add the following lines to the recipe:
GARCOMPILER = GNU
COMMON_PKG_DEPENDS =
INCLUDE_COMMONDIRS = 1
- checkpkg doesn't know about CSWcommon-less packages, so you will
need to add overrides:
CHECKPKG_OVERRIDES_CSWlibcharset1 += bad-location-of-file
CHECKPKG_OVERRIDES_CSWlibcharset1 += disallowed-path
- otherwise proceed as usual
- when the packages are built, use csw-upload-pkg to upload them to
bratislava:
csw-upload-pkg  --catalog-release bratislava <pkg1> [ <pkg2> [ ... ] ]

Sometimes you'll need to think about the order in which to insert the
packages. For example libiconv2 doesn't have dependencies, but
libiconv-utils does depend on libintl8, so you need to skip
libiconv-utils until you upload libintl8.

That's it.

In the meantime, Dago will experiment with a new approach to
Makefiles, allowing for multiple Makefiles in one package directory,
which will make it easier to maintain separate build files for each
catalog release, and will reduce the number of files and directories
in the subversion tree.