[csw-maintainers] can/should checkpkg prevent such problems?

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 4 17:04:48 CEST 2012

2012/10/4 Carsten Grzemba <grzemba at contac-dt.de>

> on an installation after 4 months of build the package I got the following
> error:
> grzemba at test:~$ /opt/csw/gxx/bin/librecad
> ld.so.1: librecad: Schwerer Fehler: libgcc_s.so.1: Version 'GCC_4.0.0'
> nicht gefunden (benötigt von Datei /opt/csw/gxx/bin/librecad)
> ld.so.1: librecad: Schwerer Fehler: libgcc_s.so.1: Öffnen fehlgeschlagen:
> Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> Killed (Abgebrochen)
>
> Can or should checkpkg recognise such problems?

TL;DR while not impossible, it's not trivial and would require a change to
the checkpkg database schema.

Presumably an update to gcc broke librecad. To prevent this problem from
happening, you would have to do one of these things:

- check librecad during gcc update, which means the need to check the whole
catalog
- remember the state of the libgcc_s.so.1 file and e.g. throw an error when
a symbol version goes away

As a compromise, you could perform regular whole-catalog checks to see of
there are any packages that haven't been updated, but are now broken.

Also, to check the symbol versions, the database would need a direct,
in-table representation of symbol versions. We don't have that at the
moment.