[csw-maintainers] python library directory

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Oct 20 19:03:57 CEST 2012

Hi All,

I'm planning to tackle the python library directory move from
/opt/csw/lib/python to /opt/csw/lib/python2.6 in order to remove some
of the hurdles that modules may experience when working within the CSW
environment.  This will require rebuilding any package that delivers
files into /opt/csw/lib/python.  (Project page on the wiki is
forthcoming.)  In order to not hurt users of the package, I think that
site.py will need to include /opt/csw/lib/python{,/site-packages} too.
 This could remove the need for a world rebuild but I'd rather that
things we control don't depend on this hack.

Some of our packages deliver files to the proper location already.  I
haven't looked at why this is yet but my suspicion is that it's due to
them simply expecting the standard location rather than querying
python to ask for it...these may or may not need to be re-rolled.
Hopefully not.

I'm willing to put in a pile of effort on this but once I have the
base python packages re-rolled, I'd love it if you re-rolled any
python modules you look after.

I know that Maciej is already looking at python 3.x as the way forward
and that's definitely the right choice for the long term...I'm hoping
that this 2.x series fix will be a worthwhile effort for the short to
medium term.

Comments or feedback?

Thanks