[csw-maintainers] python library directory

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 22 22:27:29 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Romeo Theriault
<romeotheriault at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Romeo Theriault
> <romeotheriault at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm planning to tackle the python library directory move from
>>> /opt/csw/lib/python to /opt/csw/lib/python2.6 in order to remove some
>>> of the hurdles that modules may experience when working within the CSW
>>> environment.
>>

>> I'm not really clear on what the issue is. (?) Is it that some
>> modules/tools expect the python2.6 directory but it's not there?
>

> Nevermind, I just read your other email about the hack to get virtualenv
> working. :)

Yeah, it's a poor assumption that the modules are making but...I think
the original idea to have a non-versioned python library directory is
that it would alleviate the need to rebuild every module for a major
version upgrade as most thins would work on newer versions (binary
modules exempted).

Either way, it's better to fix our python layout even though it will
mean a lot of rebuilding.

I extracted the list of affected packages today and will post them to
the wiki project page shortly.

Thanks