[csw-maintainers] NMUs, non-maintainer uploads (was: reminder on contributing on recipes)

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Apr 9 10:35:30 CEST 2013

2013/4/8 Yann Rouillard <yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org>:
> I think there are two topics here:
>  1. how to handle NMU,
>  2. how to handle orphaned packages.
>
> If you have a lot of bugs assigned to you, it's probably because the
> maintainers are not active anymore and didn't upload new packages. In fact,
> the packages are rather orphaned.
>
> For 2., I would propose to create a dedicated fake maintainer. The emails
> address of this fake maintainer would be a mailing-list, all interested
> maintainers in helping to keep orphaned package up to date would be
> subscribed to this list.
>
> For 1., it might be better to register the official maintainer somewhere
> (the easiest is in the Makefile). If someone else uploads a package it could
> just add an "UPLOADER" field in the pkginfo file but would not change the
> official maintainer of the package.

Our current field has exactly this meaning, it's whomever last
uploaded the package.

There's also 2 things we need to distinguish:

- how we can change our infrastructure to be better
- what we can do right now

I'm more interested in what we can do now, without changing our
infrastructure. For now we have just one field; adjusting this field
causes packages to look as if they changed ownership, although the
field really only means the last uploader. So what do we do with this
field for now?