[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 1 09:27:23 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> 2013/7/31 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>
>> I followed the discussion on cross-version modules and the more I think about it
>> the more I think it would be better to clearly separate modules for different
>> Python versions. If you already built them with modulations I don't see the
>> point in putting them all in one package instead of having the old (2.6)
>> CSWpy- and the new CSWpy27- and CSWpy33- modules. The only possible benefit
>> I see is that people who are using 2.6 can pkgutil update and switch to 2.7
>> after all has been rebuilt. But that can be achieved with a online shellscript
>> installing CSWpy27- for all CSWpy- modules.
>
> One argument for keeping the CSWpy- prefix is that we start with one
> 2.x version (2.6) and we eventually want to end up with one 2.x
> version (2.7). When we go from 2.6 to 2.7, we can introduce the
> CSWpy27- packages, but there eventually would only be CSWpy27-
> packages and none of CSWpy-. I think that would be just annoyance for
> our users. If we can wiggle our way through from 2.6 into 2.7 without
> messing around with package names, it's better and smoother for our
> users.

Completely agree as the target is to have 2.7 as the next 2.x stable
Python interpreter, when we will transition from the next unstable to a
named catalog.

> I'm curious if anyone will object to my idea to drop the dependency on
> the interpreter.

I'm rather opposed to it as it transgress the fundamental property of
explicit dependency declaration. This can also create havoc, especially
if a 2.7 module is tried on a 2.6 only installation.
--
Peter