[csw-maintainers] Python 3.x

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 1 17:57:18 CEST 2013

2013/8/1 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> They have python3 as a prefix when for 2.x they have a naked python
> prefix.
>
>>> It seems for python 3, they tried to define a stable ABI / API subset:
>>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0384/
>>
>> My current working assumption is that we will have one module location
>> for all Python 3 minor versions. It's just the question of figuring
>> out a way the module build scripts to put files where we want them.
>
> We want them in /opt/csw/lib/python3.3 and from the upstream build
> system is what they do anyway.

That's what's up for debate. When Python 3.4 comes along, it will be
backward compatible with Python 3.3. But if we keep modules in
/opt/csw/lib/python3.3, Python 3.4 will not see them, unless we do
something. We would either need to patch Python 3.4 to look into the
3.3 library directory (Is that good? I think not, it seems ugly. Prove
me wrong if you wish!), or we will have to rebuild all Python 3
modules to support 3.3 and 3.4. Why not have a shared Python 3 space
instead?