[csw-maintainers] Our infrastructure on Solaris 9

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 6 13:36:56 CEST 2013

On 06/08/13 11:45, James Lee wrote:
> I was ignored when a similar question arose for Solaris 8 but here goes
> anyway.
>
> Take a snapshot of the last working set of Solaris 9 packages and
> archive them. Do not piecemeal update as this breaks the set [as
> happened to the last the Solaris 8 set which became unusable].
>
> Thus only old system packages are provided to maintain old
> installations. Anyone using an old operating system will be more
> satisfied with an old working set than a newer broken one.

I'll respectfully disagree there. If they're interested in old crap,
they've got the Companion CD already. Requests I've seen so far were
from people wanting to run very recent software (Samba 3.6, OpenSSL 1.0,
etc) on old systems (S8 or S9).

I'm not saying the snapshot is not useful. Of course it is. But I
believe it won't satisfy the requests of those people running obsolete OS's.

Laurent