[csw-maintainers] Non-Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Aug 11 01:09:16 CEST 2013

The current notion throughout our code base is that the user who runs
mgar, and the user who owns the package is the same user. To separate
these two concepts, the code needs modifications in many places.

But I would also like to challenge Peter's not willing to inherit the
packages. I was hoping that the notion of package ownership has
already eroded. It was different in the times when package sources
were private. Other people did not have access to the build recipes,
so the only way to get the package modified, was to ask the sole
person who had the sources. Fortunately, we're in a different world
now, we share the code. Anybody can get the code and build it.

We're a volunteer organization, we do not hold any binding contracts
with regards to package maintenance. My name on a package means that I
was the last person to modify the package, which means I might know
something about the package and you have an idea of whom to talk to.
It does not entitle you to any demands with relation to the package. I
might have been the last person to upload the package, but I be no
longer willing to work on the package. Therefore, I would suggest we
do not embed in our infrastructure the outdated concept of package
ownership.

Let's take a step back: what's wrong with having your name show up
next to a package to which you made a small change?