[csw-maintainers] Non-Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 14 17:32:39 CEST 2013

2013/8/14 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> Laurent Blume <laurent at opencsw.org> writes:
>
>> On 14/08/13 16:12, Peter FELECAN wrote:
>>> Each package has its set/group of maintainers. Is the simplest way.
>>
>> Is that easy to maintain, eg for recipe which create a bunch of packages?
>
> If we can do this for one, and we do, we certainly can do it for
> many. Every operation that we have today for one maintainer can be reused
> to manage another maintainer. Maybe Maciej can elaborate on this, he is
> the guy who knows the code best.

We still don't know how to implement it in details. The EMAIL field
probably has to remain a single email address. We have to gradually
develop an additional path of propagating maintainer information. For
example:

- a new pkginfo field MAINTAINERS
- MAINTAINERS is a comma/space separated list of buildfarm user names
- when a package is built, GAR makes a request to fetch the previous
list from the buildfarm database, appends the currently building user
to the list if not already there; put the list into the MAINTAINERS
field
  - this list in the buildfarm database is mutable; you can
send a request to the buildfarm to remove a maintainer (themselves or
another maintainer). When a maintainer is removed, the name is no
longer returned by the query and upon the next package rebuild, the
name is no longer on the list.
- the EMAIL field is the fallback for MAINTAINERS
- GAR side handling of EMAIL remains as it was
- we gradually change the code everywhere to look at MAINTAINERS and
not at EMAIL

By the way - I'm not volunteering for implementing this. I'm focusing
on another part of the code.

Thoughts?