[csw-maintainers] pkgcheck phase is failing

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 7 18:19:16 CET 2013

2013/1/7 Yann Rouillard <yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org>:
> I think that makes a lot of sense.
>
> I suppose we should define some exception class whose instances would at
> least contain the error message and the information message.
> Any check could use this exception or a sub-class when they need to raise an
> error.

Each module can define its exceptions; I was following this rule most
of the time so far. But for simplicity, we should not change the type
of exception we're raising, only display an error message and
propagate the exception as-is. This way we keep the code simpler and
not bury ourselves in an exception handling jungle.

> Now the question is just: where is the central place to catch these
> exceptions and display the message ?

I would like to avoid having this. If anything goes wrong, I want to
crash early and loud.

> I didn't check yet but I am sure you already have an idea.
>
> For the stack trace, we could display it only in debug mode.

I'm thinking that if we don't display the stack trace, we won't be
able to ask for it right away (“can you show me the stack trace?” --
“what stack trace?”). Right now people can immediately copy/paste the
stack trace and quickly give us idea about what's going on. Without
the stack trace, we'll still have to go and ask people to re-run in
debug mode, then copy and paste. Why add an additional middle step?