[csw-maintainers] Proposal: switch off autostarting of services

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Mon Jan 7 21:53:23 CET 2013

Hi,

I also agree about disabling auto-start after installation.

But by the way, are we talking only about auto-starting after first
installation or also after upgrade ?

Under Solaris 10, autostart_daemons=no will only prevent daemons from
auto-starting at first installation. After, the previous state of the
daemon will be restored no matter what is the value of autostart_daemons.

I personnally like this behaviour (and in fact proposed the patch for it):
after I correctly configured a service, I prefer it to be automatically
restarted on upgrade, but I put the subject on the table so we're sure to
agree on the same thing.

Yann

Am 07.01.2013 16:26, schrieb Maciej  Bliziński:

> We're currently defaulting to automatically start services after
> installation. For example, when you install MySQL packages, the
> database starts up without any additional commands. For MySQL this is
> harmless enough, but as a general rule it goes against intuitions and
> expectations of sysadmins.
>
> I propose that we change the default to not start services by default.

I fully agree on that. I've set on all my machines the autostart to "no"
and as most admins, I don't like services starting automatically. Most
package repositories are working this way.

Our target are not the end-users. Our users are admins and even those who
using the first time Solaris and OpenCSW can handle services, that do not
start automatically.

Ihsan

--
ihsan at dogan.ch http://blog.dogan.ch/
.:: This mailing list's archive is public. ::.