[csw-maintainers] reminder on contributing on recipes

pfelecan pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 8 16:13:43 CET 2013

I would like to remind the good usage when contributing on recipes
maintained by others:

- The maintainer is retired:

   On the maintainers mailing list, announce your intention to work on
   the recipe and eventually take up the maintenance.

   When you have a working recipe and generated the package, upload-it
   and you became the active maintainer.

- The maintainer is inactive:

   Contact him before and, after his accord or a reasonable time without
   an answer, usually 1 to 2 weeks is a good measure, proceed as
   described above.

- The maintainer is active, i.e. answers to bug reports, messages sent
   on the maintainers mailing list or private messages:

   Work on a branch, see http://wiki.opencsw.org/branching-from-trunk,
   and when you obtain satisfying results explain your changes to the
   maintainer such as he can use what you've done and/or, if you obtain
   his explicit permission, merge your modifications on the trunk.

There are, of course, possible variations on contributing to recipes
maintained by others, and we should discuss them. However, I hope that
the above can be used as a foundation of a possible policy definition
on this issue.

Thank you