[csw-maintainers] reminder on contributing on recipes

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 9 22:52:01 CET 2013

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Am 09.01.2013 um 20:17 schrieb Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>:
>> This would be fine with me for all of the reasons you've
>> listed. It's not a trivial change though as maintainership info is
>> derived from package metadata. A gar override its the answer...
>>
>> In fact, simply making that info part of the recipe instead of storing it in .garrc would allow versioned take overs.
>>
>> Am I missing a downside here?
>
> We could add something like
>   MAINTAINER = dam
> in the Makefile with the person currently maintaining the package which then goes to
>   SPKG_EMAIL = $(MAINTAINER)@$(PKGDOMAIN)
> if MAINTAINER is set and falls back to already defined SPKG_EMAIL
> where PKGDOMAIN is preset in the global /etc/opt/csw/garrc

Excellent Dago! Can you use your magic to fix that in all the recipe to
start with, i.e. define in all the Makefiles the current maintainer and
the remaining and required stanza that you mention above?

Afterward we can do it manually... However, a check is in order to
verify that a maintainer is defined, isn't it, Maciej?

>> On Jan 9, 2013 7:10 PM, "Peter FELECAN" <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> > What if I want to make a change and upload it, but not become a
>> > permanent maintainer of the package? I had loads of such cases,
>> > especially with packages depending on old libraries. I want to remove
>> > an old library, so I rebuild packages depending on it. Obviously, most
>> > of these packages are not maintained. But I only care about them not
>> > depending on a legacy dependency I want to kill, I don't want to spend
>> > weeks on all the bugs that such package might have filed in Mantis.
>> >
>> > Currently, the result is that I have a lot of bugs assigned to me,
>> > which are legitimate bugs, but I have no intention to fix them,
>> > because I didn't want to take over these packages. But the mechanics
>> > of our uploads work in such a way that it's impossible not to appear
>> > as the main maintainer after you've uploaded a package.
>>
>> Indeed, this is bothering me also: a maintainer correcting a lot of
>> packages that are orphaned acquire, by default, the maintenance of the
>> those packages.
>>
>> What if we change the uploader to have an option saying that the action
>> is on the behalf of the current maintainer --- even a retired one; we
>> can log that the upload was done by somebody else. Debian has a similar
>> feature...
>> --
>> Peter

Peter