[csw-maintainers] there is something rotten around checkpkg

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Sun Jan 20 23:04:05 CET 2013

Hi Peter,

 > Maybe Yann can look at the logs and figure out what was the immediate
> > problem. The main issue is that we art collecting way more date than
> > previously, and that puts more pressure on the database. Do you think
> they
> > the problem you had I'd transient? If it's persistent, we can back out
> the
> > changes and stop collecting the additional data. I would prefer to
> > gradually solve the performance problems without having to roll back, but
> > if people can't build packages, we will have to.
>
> Th issue is not transient as I repeated 3 times the operation. However,
> having a more important disk quota will delay it.

I will definitely have a look at the log. I don't understand yet what is
the real problem here and I need more information.
The current log file still contains the gunzip error that seems related to
disk space / quota issue.

Now that Jan has made some space, could you run again the build so we could
get past the gunzip error and see the real problem ?

> > I did rebuild GCC with the new code and GCC is a pretty hefty build. But
> > maybe TeX live is so large that it pushes the system off the cliff, while
> > GCC is still small enough.
>
> The difference is in the number of files and, among them, the number of
> binary executable files which are all candidates for the new checks.
>
> > Yann, maybe we can selectively disable the ldd and elfdump data
> collection
> > for packages that wish to have these checks disabled? The checking code
> > would need to allow for missing ldd and elfdump data. Since all that
> > checkpkg sees is the package file, there would have to be a specific bit
> of
> > information in the package itself that would instruct checkpkg to skip
> ldd
> > end elfdump. It could be in pkginfo for example.
>
> This is an interesting option but I suggest to make it temporary, i.e.,
> until solving the issue. How do you think to set this option, obviously
> in the recipe.

Don't worry it will temporary, but I would first to investigate a bit
further before doing this.

Yann