[csw-maintainers] Filezille, wxwidgets and C++

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 4 20:55:51 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-04 7:20 PM, Peter FELECAN wrote:
> Maybe I misunderstood the issue but openssl is implemented mostly in C
> and there is no C++. Consequently, the above described benchmark is
> about code generation when the source is C but we are discussing g++
> against SSCC as C++ compilers, wxwidgets being mainly C++.

We are, but the C/C++ bit is really only relevant for the ABI. For
binary code performance, both gcc and g++ use the same backend, as
explained eg here:
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/gcc/#internal-org-gcc

If I remember correctly, some years after that, Fortran was included too.

As far as I know, Solaris Studio (and all compilers) work in the same
ways, because it's simply easier to maintain a single optimization
engine (or rather, to integrate several of them a single time from
processor teams for Intel/AMD/SPARC64/UltraSPARC-T design).

You can see it for Studio in that the patch that contains binary code
fixes is "Compiler Common components", 148906-06. Those specific to
C/C++ don't relate to binary optimization.

So openssl is indeed useful to compare binary performance. C or C++ does
not matter for that particular benchmark.

> BTW, is wxwidgets in the class of libraries requiring such a great optimization,
> such as openssl, that it doesn't suffer a little bit of lag on SPARC?

I would say, any interactive UI lib needs as much optimization as it can :-)
As for the specifics, I don't know how to bench it and if it would be
perceptible or not. Any idea how to do that?

Laurent