[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri Jul 19 10:42:03 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> +PYTHON_MODULE_PACKAGE_PREFIX_2_6 = CSWpy-
> +PYTHON_MODULE_PACKAGE_PREFIX_2_7 = CSWpy27-
> +PYTHON_MODULE_PACKAGE_PREFIX_3_3 = CSWpy33-
> +PYTHON_MODULE_PACKAGE_PREFIX =
> $(PYTHON_MODULE_PACKAGE_PREFIX_$(PYTHON_VERSION))

I think that using a different prefix for 2.6 and 2.7 is not a good
idea: it will hinder the replacement of the current Python, 2.6, by the
new one, 2.7.

Lets use the same prefix for 2.x to smooth the transition. IMHO the
objective is to make 2.7 the current 2.x Python.

We don't want to support a CSWpy-foo and CSWpy27-foo, isn't it? What's
the rationale of that?

Anyhow, I don't get what's the issue with a 2.6 package using the 2.7
interpreter. The only one that I see is if there is a binary component
tightly linked to a give version. Which are those "binary" packages
anyway?

Using a different prefix for 3.x is a good thing.

--
Peter