[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jul 19 17:26:47 CEST 2013

2013/7/19 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> Here is what I've done:
>
> - created a patch to append /opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages at the end
>   of the search path for modules

Does it work? When I've suggested this solution, you said it wouldn't.
If it does, cool!

> - rebuilt to verify that there is no failure when 2.6 is installed on the
>   build system
> - installed 2.7 in parallel with 2.6; there is a conflict on
>   /opt/csw/bin/python symbolic link but for the moment I ignore this

2.6 needs to be rebuilt with alternatives. When you're at it, could
you do it as well?

> - packaging Calibre, which uses construct only available in 2.7, such as
>   set literals, dictionary comprehensions, is now possible.

Nice.

I gave a little more thought to the CSWpy27- prefix and I think it's
impossible to avoid it if we ever want to move away from the horrible
unversioned directory. If we start building modules with the CSWpy27-
prefix, then at least we have a chance of moving away from the
unversioned directory and fixing our 2.x Python.