[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 25 09:55:35 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

Thank you for all this work.

> And now the module doesn't work with 2.6 any more. This is the main
> blocker for using the CSWpy- prefix for 2.7 modules.

Then, that is the time for the user to install 2.7. Anyway, when the
unstable containing 2.7 transits to a named catalog, i.e. current stable
(or what ever its name), it will be the "current" Python.

> Back to pyshared. I've read the policy, but it doesn't provide any
> details. The pyshared functionality might be lurking in their
> packaging helper tools, dh_python2 and dh_python3. We need to look
> into how it's done. Until then, we can continue building modules with
> Python 2.6: they will work with Python 2.6 and 2.7.

"pyshared" is what the French call "intention pieuse" (pious intention),
i.e. they have the same reasoning as that that I sustain from the
beginning of this thread but inertia and/or other things precluded its
usage and what we got is another directory containing versioned
sub-directories.

I hope that we will not do the same mistake, but the reluctance of using
a common prefix for 2.x modules are signs of that.

Lets not do the things more complex than needed and use only one prefix
for packages containing Python 2.x modules.
--
Peter