[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Jul 29 10:37:28 CEST 2013

2013/7/29 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> "Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:
>> I did not implement compiling one .py file multiple times for
>> different Python versions.
>
> Do you plan to do it later?

No, unless we figure out and agree on how to do it.

>> The main concern for the current CAS is the suitability of pattern
>> matching. Is it good enough to just match a part of the path to know
>> which interpreter to use? It should be good enough for most packages,
>> but I'm not sure what the corner cases / contrived path names could
>> be.
>
> Even if it misses some is not blocking as the code is there. Anyhow, the
> difference between .py and .pyc is not so great (and I don't speak about
> .pyo which seems to me a scam), in my experience and if I understood the
> mechanism of dynamic compilation the overhead is incurred only
> once. This is why supplying the compiled components in the package
> seemed to me a very good solution.

I'm wondering why Debian's policy is so strict about not shipping
them. The document doesn't explain the reasons, unfortunately, but
there must be some. If we learn what the reasons are and it turns out
they are not relevant for us, we might well do as you're suggesting. I
found a Python packaging FAQ, the question wasn't on the list.

http://wiki.debian.org/Python/FAQ

Is anyone onboard a Debian developer and can provide any pointers?

Maciej

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-byte_compilation