[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Mon Jul 29 15:27:26 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> 2013/7/29 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> the only omission is using a different prefix for 2.6 and 2.7 packages.
>>
>> Tested it thoroughly and everything seems alright.
>>
>> Do you mind if I commit these changes? This way we have a necessary and
>> sufficient set of changes to support our new toy...
>
> This line:
>
> PYTHON_MODULE_PACKAGE_PREFIX_2_7 = CSWpy-
>
> ...is fine as long as we don't rebuild the CSWpy- packages with Python
> 2.7; or more specifically, as long as the packages with the CSWpy-
> prefix do provide files in the /opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages or
> /opt/csw/lib/python2.6/site-packages directories. This can be easily
> encoded into a check in checkpkg. I'm sure you understand the
> reasoning ‒ we don't want a regression in 2.6.

There are the following cases:

1. The package provides a 2.7 module, i.e., its code use new 2.7
   features. In this case it must provide its components in the
   versioned trees,
   e.g. /opt/csw/lib/python2.7/site-packages. Consequently, no need for
   a specific prefix and its dependencies clearly says CSWpython27

2. The package provides a "mixed" module, i.e. the code runs on 2.6 and
   2.7 interpreter. In this case it should provide a double pronged
   installation, i.e., components installed in
   /opt/csw/python/site-packages. consequently, no need for a specific
   prefix and its dependency specifies CSWpython *and* CSWpython27.

3. The package provides a 2.6 module (IMHO this is also a 2.7
   module). In this case its components should go in
   /opt/csw/lib/python26 and /opt/csw/python27. Consequently there is no
   need for a specific prefix.

4. Finally, if, as I suggested, the next transition from unstable to a
   named catalog defines as an objective to make 2.7 the default
   interpreter, there is no need for a specific prefix.

There are certainly other cases but I think that they can be reduced to
a solution which don't need the unnecessary CSWpy27- prefix. I'm willing
to falsify the need for each one as a penitence.
--
Peter