[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 31 10:00:10 CEST 2013

Hi Maciej,

Am 31.07.2013 um 09:05 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> I've built a proof of concept package with a module for two Python versions.
>
> http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/pkgdb/srv4/0d104a066cc756f822da96867d760a6f/
>
> You can execute the command listed at the bottom of the page to
> examine the metadata such as the list of files.
>
> I'm talking to Dago about how to best add category-level modulations.
> When we're done with that, we'll mass-rebuild all the Python modules
> with the new setting.

I followed the discussion on cross-version modules and the more I think about it
the more I think it would be better to clearly separate modules for different
Python versions. If you already built them with modulations I don't see the
point in putting them all in one package instead of having the old (2.6)
CSWpy- and the new CSWpy27- and CSWpy33- modules. The only possible benefit
I see is that people who are using 2.6 can pkgutil update and switch to 2.7
after all has been rebuilt. But that can be achieved with a online shellscript
installing CSWpy27- for all CSWpy- modules.