[csw-maintainers] How to remove dialog_minimal from unstable?

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 20 19:14:59 CET 2013

2013/3/20 Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org>:
> I still don't understand why remove is so slow when inserts are just
> as fast as before..? It uploaded, checked and inserted the package set
> all in one minute.

The operation that takes the most time is fetching package metadata.
They are cached locally on disk, so subsequent runs of the script are
way faster, in the order of minutes, bottlenecking on catalog fetches.
Inserting packages does not need fetching all of package metadata.

The problem is figuring out package's reverse dependencies. If you
want to check what depends on package X, you have to query every
single package in the catalog. Therefore a single run of
safe_remove_package.py requires fetching everything.

I didn't want to complicate the code, even though I realized that some
operations are hilariously slow. I know it can be annoying, but I
didn't want to complicate the code, database and/or infrastructure any
further. You can call me lazy or far-sighted, I'll take both. :-)