some clarification on libtool is needed

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 17 17:58:03 CET 2013

Hi Peter,

(cc'ing maintainers as this is important for all developers).

Am 17.11.2013 um 17:15 schrieb Peter FELECAN <peter at felecan.org>:
> I'm trying to use, well a project that I'm packaging is using, the
> libtool as supplied by us and I have issues with some Sun Studio
> specific options when I wish to use gcc. Exploring our package I see
> some unusual components:
>
> 1. there are libtool, libtool.orig and libtool.rej in /opt/csw/bin. What
>   are they for ?

Umh, this is a bug. Bad. Artifacts from a patch no longer appliable. Looks like
it slipped through. This probably prevents some gcc builds. I need to take
care of this.

> 2. there are configuration files in /opt/csw/share/libtool. what are
>   they for and what's their usage. a documentation is necessary for
>   poor souls as I.

These are automatically pulled in. libtool works like this: You select a compiler
in general (like CC) with some value. libtool has build in features for this
compiler which were detected during building of libtool. As our libtool should
be able to work with Sun Studio in different versions and also different gcc
versions I have a compiler modulation in libtool:
  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/libtool/trunk/Makefile
the resulting configuration parts are stripped from libtool and separated to this
configuration directory and then sourced on demand when such a compiler is used.

Usually libtool is meant to be built for one compiler only and only used in
conjunction with this one compiler. Just in case: I inherited this layout
long ago and only adjusted it to newer compilers and pathes once in a while.

> Thank you in advance to enlighten me.

Sure :-) I'll release a fixed version ASAP.