soname-unused

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Mon Nov 25 09:31:29 CET 2013

Hi Jake,

This investigation is still ongoing and I am waiting from some anwsers from
Oracle.

I have some information about the new behavior: now the "-z ignore" option
will keep an unused dependency if it's required by another dependency which
forgot to include it in its own dependencies. i.e. if program A depends on
library B which itself uses library C but without explicit depending on it,
the linker will keep C as a dependency of A.
That seems fair (even if for us it's rather a bug in library B which should
depend on C) but it seems there is some bug with this new behavior as in
the cases I've seen, the C library was kept as a dependency of A although
it was already perfectly defined as a dependency of B.

Yann