Broken Netatalk package in testing catalog

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Oct 13 01:05:50 CEST 2013

2013/10/11 Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> 2013/10/11 slowfranklin <slowfranklin at opencsw.org>:
>> Do you know whether that checks whether package deps are met? Suppose I want to uload package X which depends on package Y at version Z, but the catalog only has Z-1.
>
> It could fail. There is no version checking or support in the Solaris
> package manager. If there's a package that really needs the Z-1
> version, it'll fail. But so would the manual integration.

I don't think I've made myself clear with the paragraph above. Here's
try number two:

Uploading another catalog is the safest way to do it. The integration
script is dumb and it's very easy to shoot yourself in the foot while
using it. The generated shell script is calling low-level catalog
operations and it performs no checks.

csw-upload-pkg on the other hand, does perform checks and makes it
much less likely to introduce a problem into a catalog.

By "it could fail" I mean that it is not impossible that a
csw-upload-pkg operation has undesired results, but it's much less
likely to happen, compared to using the integration script.