[csw-maintainers] Evaluating Gentoo Prefix

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Sep 23 11:27:46 CEST 2013

2013/9/23 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> Why I think it could be feasible? Our current code hardcodes /opt/csw
>> and other variants of the CSW string in many, many places. To build
>> into a different prefix, e.g. ${HOME}/myproject of an unprivileged
>> user, we would have to correct countless places in our build recipes.
>> The required amount of work could be larger than adopting a different
>> codebase.
>
> This is exactly what I doubt. Because I don't see the relation between
> changing the prefixes in the recipes and using another code base. I
> wonder if you are not proposing to use another set of recipes. But you
> are a nice guy and will clarify, isn't it?

I am proposing an evaluation of another set of build recipes.

The relation between changing the prefix and the code base is that the
prefix is hardcoded in many, many places in our code base. To find out
how many places, you can try this:

find ~/opencsw -name Makefile -o -name '*.patch' -o -name '*.diff'
-exec gegrep -ril '/opt/csw' {} \;

If anyone is looking into working on making OpenCSW buildable into
another prefix, I suggest looking at Gentoo Prefix because they've
already done it.

If no one is thinking of building OpenCSW into another prefix, then
this thread can be dismissed.