[csw-maintainers] Evaluating Gentoo Prefix

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 24 09:24:33 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> 2013/9/24 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:

>>> Right, and the characteristics are: 1-1.5 GB RAM and 1 core. :)
>>>
>>> That's what I have at home for a VM and I think it's a reasonable
>>> general expectation, don't you agree?
>>
>> I agree with whatever you have empirically determined. However, it
>> contradicts your previous statement about the need of a "beefy"
>> infrastructure.
>
> No, I work on this the other way around: I have at home what I have.
> The buildfarm infrastructure has to run on that. It's the code that
> doesn't meet the spec, not the hardware.

Alright. But, at least for me, the specifications that you considered
were opaque. If it's 1Gb of memory and 1 core virtualized then good
luck; I'm not saying that it is not possible to optimize for that, what
I'm thinking and say now is that for the moment, documentation wise, we
should give the current specs of the only working build farm. When the
optimization lowers the bar, the documentation can be changed.
--
Peter