Broken login

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 14 14:29:25 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was updating "login" yesterday to the latest release and then went on with other stuff
> as the update ran for quite a while. As it seems the update got stuck during updating
> fontcache (I need to look into that). Regardless from that when I noticed the error the
> pkgutil run aborted due to an error during installation in the fontconfig package.
> The difficult problem is that pkgutil removes all packages and exits on error without
> being able to continue or leaving a trace what is left to be done. It would be very useful
> to have some "what is yet to do" statusfile/script somewhere to pick up at that exact
> location and finish the work.

Is this when you run it unattended with -y? Because if you don't then
you at least have a choice of continuing or not and you can easier
prepare for another run.

I've had this suggested before and it may be time to do something
about it. How about some runtime file that gets overwritten on the
next run or should we use syslog to be more resilient against a new
run erasing valuable logs? Timestamped filenames would be a mess I
think. A couple of syslog options in pkgutil.conf may do the trick.

/peter